Sherry Wine Information
Jerez is locateded, in Andalucia, southwest Spain. Sherry, at the time a simple red wine, was started by the Phoenicians here around 1100 BC, and the practice was continued by the Romans. The Arabs invaded in 711, renaming the town here ‘Sherish’. This became ‘Jerez’. And so a tradition was born.
The cradle of Sherry is a region roughly triangular in shape, with vertices at Jerez de la Frontera, El Puerto de Santa María and Sanlúcar de Barrameda.
The region, locally known as “el Marco”, is limited on the north by the river Guadalquivir, to the south by the river Guadalete, to the east by longitude 6º5′ West, and to the west by the Atlantic Ocean.
El Marco covers contains some 11,250 hectares (27,800 acres) of vineyards.